Full Site View
Quick Links
  My Bulletin
  Contact The Bulletin

Groene at the Legislature: Holding NRDs responsible

Groene, colleagues short-sighted on NRD funds

More opinion

Ag News

New interim executive director named for state brand committee

Water, crops field day offered Aug. 24 in North Platte

More Ag News

NorthPlatte Weather

Email Article | Print Article
Sports - Local Sports
Hershey Panthers run by Arcadia-Loup CityTell North Platte what you think
Photo by Joe Chitwood
Hershey's Gaige Marshall threads through the defense.
Photo by Joe Chitwood
Hershey Head Coach Ryan Smith goes over a play with Quarterback Logan Weir.
Photo by Joe Chitwood
Hershey's Lane Richardson and Jason Davis lock up a Rebel ball carrier.
Photo by Joe Chitwood
Weir launches a pass with Marshall standing guard.

The Arcadia-Loup City Rebels were unable to slow the Hershey Panthers Friday, as the Panthers rolled to a 48-0 opening game win on the road in Loup City.

Hershey dominated with its ground game, rushing 41 times for 437 yards, while the Panthers’ stingy defense held Loup City to 82 yards rushing and 39 passing.

The Rebels won the coin toss to start game and elected to receive. After a couple of first downs, Hershey's defense stiffened and forced a punt. 

The Panthers took the ball on their own 12 yard line and delivered a taste of what they delivered all night. Gaige Marshall took the ball on the first play from scrimmage and ran 38 yards up the middle to the 50 yard line. 

Hershey ran two more running plays before quarterback Logan Weir launched a 38 yard toss to wide receiver Chayton Crow who hauled it in at the one yard line. 

The next play could have been a disaster for Hershey, as the exchange was fumbled, but Panther lineman Jason Davis fell on the loose ball. On second and goal, Marshall ran the ball in for a touchdown.

A fumbled snap on the extra point left the score 6-0.

The Rebels’ troubles were just beginning. On their next drive, they fumbled and Crow recovered for Hershey on the 27 yard line. But the Panthers could not take advantage of the turnover and were pushed back with penalties until they punted.

Again the Panther's defense held and forced a punt. The snap went over the punter's head and out of the end zone for a safety and Hershey led, 8-0.

Hershey started their next drive on the Rebels’ 40 yard-line. Marshall took the hand off on first down and raced 40 yards for his second TD of the night. Weir kicked the extra point and the score was 15-0 with 2:47 left in the first quarter.

Arcadia-Loup City started their next drive with a 60 yard run, moving the ball all the way to the Hershey 19 yard line. However, on the next play the Rebels fumbled and Hershey recovered. Then the Panthers moved the ball to the Rebels’ 49 yard-line as the quarter ended.

Josh Margritz picked up two yards to start the second quarter. Weir then handed off to Marshall who weaved 47 yards into the end zone for his third score of the night. 

The PAT was good to make the score 22-0.

Neither team could get a consistent drive going for the rest of the half, exchanging fumbles and punts.

However, the Rebels got the ball back with less than a minute left in the half. With three seconds remaining, they called time out to devise a final play.

They tried a long pass, but Crow picked it off on his own 40. With some nifty running and good downfield blocks, Crow ran all the way to the end zone as the half ended. Another successful PAT made the score 29-0 at the half.

Lightening at the end of half time caused a 30 minute delay. Both teams took shelter and the grandstand emptied. When the rain and lightening ended, the second half started. Hershey continued to control the game with a balanced offense and strong defense. 

Marshall scored early in the third quarter on a 12 yard run. With a successful PAT the score stood at 36-0. By rule, the clock continues to run when a team is down by 35 or more points. Crow scored on a 5-yard run and the extra point was blocked making the score 42-0.

Hershey emptied the bench in the fourth quarter. The second team offense moved down the field and Easton Clark rushed for the final touchdown of the game.

Marshall led both teams in rushing with an impressive 237 yards on the grounds.

Crow was the leading receiver with two big catches for 59 yards.

This was the first game for Arcadia-Loup City, a newly combined team from the two towns. Arcadia played six-man football and Loup City eight-man last year. The schools are still separated in academics but share athletic teams.

Arcadia last played 11-man football in 1978 and Loup City in 2009.

Next, Hershey will face traditional powerhouse Hastings St. Cecilia at home on Friday, Sept. 5.

Like this story to send to your facebook

The North Platte Bulletin - Published 8/31/2014
Copyright © 2014 northplattebulletin.com - All rights reserved.
Flatrock Publishing, Inc. - 1300 E 4th St., Suite F - North Platte, NE 69101
Show me Talk Back during this visit