The Lincoln County Sheriff's Office has received information that a phony paving company may be operating in southwest Nebraska.The company usually takes advantage of the elderly. Please warn older adults not to fall for this.
Here’s the way the scam works, according to the sheriff: The scammers go door to door and offer to put asphalt a driveway with some “left over” asphalt.
Upon completing the job they will charge 3-4 times the price they originally quoted for the job. Large men that are intimidation generally go up to the door to ask for the money, so the elderly person feels forced to pay the higher amount.
Call the Sheriff's Office if you see this type of activity in the area. (308) 535-9599.
This is the latest in a series of probable scams in the area.
On July 26, Nebraskaland National Bank issued a warning about scam robotic phone calls from an unknown number telling people that their debit card has been compromised.
The robo caller tells them to “please press 1 immediately,” then asks for the account and PIN numbers, which is what the scammer needs to use or forge the card.
Also, on July 14, a group of individuals sold magazines door-to-door in a village in Lincoln County without proper permits, so Lincoln County deputies told them to leave.
The magazine sales group could have possibly been a front for illegal activity and/or a scam, according to a sheriff’s statement.
Sheriff Jerome Kramer said door-to-door magazine sales are a typical scam, along with vacuum sales, siding and windows sales and driveway re-surfacers.
Here is the sheriff’s advice:
1. Vacuum sales, never fall for this.
2. Magazine sales, only listen if it’s school kids or local charity.
3. Siding / window; use only local contractors.
4. Driveway resurfacing; never fall for this, always a scam.
5. Roofing; use only local contractors. 6. Steaks / seafood; usually old food of low quality and may have been stolen.
7. Ask to use the phone or bathroom; never let them in these people will take your prescriptions.
8. Ask to use computer to look at a website; never let them in may steal personal information.
9. Selling knives or tools; always refuse never let them in.
10. Steel buildings; very big scam. Use local companies.