The first weekend of NebraskalandDays wrapped up with four nights of the Buffalo Bill Rodeo. Champions were crowned and custom belt buckles ordered with the names engraved of 2014 champions.
In the bull riding, Corey Maier scored 85 points on the Beutler and Son Rodeo Co. bull branded 980 to win the title.
The 29-year-old cowboy has been a PRCA member since 2006, and had never seen bull #980 buck. But that can be an advantage, Maier said.
“Actually, sometimes it’s a little easier. You just do the basic things, and when you’re in the arena, then you go to reacting. If you’ve seen a bull 20 times, and he turns to the right every time, he might go to the left. You never know,” he said.
Actually, Maier had a game plan: “to stay on,” he laughed. The bull nearly bucked him off at the end of the ride.
“Right at the end there, my hand came out of my rope, and I didn’t have any leverage to pick up on. He blew me out of there, and I ended up landing on my back and my shoulder,” he said.
Bullfighters Andy Burelle and Quirt Hunt stepped in to help.
“The bullfighters did a great job of helping pick the bull off and saved me from getting hurt.”
Maier’s brothers, Ardie and Rorey, also rode on the final night, but did not score. The three brothers travel together, and they competed at the Reno (Nev.) Xtreme Bulls and Pleasant Grove, Utah before coming to North Platte. Next week, they’ll ride in Reno, Nev., Clear Lake, S.D., Dickinson, N.D., and then the busy rodeo season begins.
“For the Fourth of July run, we’ll be all over,” Corey said.
The Trail Boss Award was posthumously awarded to Wayne Melvin for outstanding contributions to the Buffalo Bill Rodeo.
Melvin, who ranched in Arthur and McPherson Counties for his 61 years, was a steer wrestler, team roper, pickup man, director and officer of the Nebraska State Rodeo Association. He team roped at the Buffalo Bill Rodeo several times.
Melvin and his wife Claudia had four children: Elke, Ty, Dru and Meka, and he raised them to be good horsemen as well as ropers and rodeo contestants. He was always willing to help others, young and old with horses, equipment, and helpful hints.
He passed away eight years ago from liver cancer. Ty and Dru both competed at this year’s Buffalo Bill Rodeo.
Other 2014 champions include steer wrestler Trell Etbauer, tie-down roper Cade Swor, team ropers Ty Blasingame and J.W. Borrego, saddle bronc rider Bryce Nelson, and barrel racer Christy Loflin, and a tie in the bareback riding between Orin Larsen, Seth Hardwick, and Jerad Schlegel.
More Nebraskaland Days activities take place from now until June 29.
The U.S. Cellular Summer Jam Concert Series is Friday, June 27 with Lady Antebellum and special guest David Nail.
The Saturday, June 28 concert is Billy Currington, with special guest Tyler Farr and the Railers. For more information, visit www.NebraskaLandDays.com.
Buffalo Bill Rodeo
(Results are unofficial)
Bareback riding – 2014 champion: Orin Larsen, Seth Hardwick, and Jerad Schlegel
1 tie Orin Larsen, Goodwell, Okla. 81 points on Beutler and Son Rodeo’s Black Kat, Seth Hardwick, Laramie, Wyo. 81 points on Beutler and Son Rodeo’s Wonderland, and Jerad Schlegel, Burns, Colo. 81 points on Beutler and Son Rodeo’s Rage; 4. Tie Troy Vaira, Richey, Mont. 78; Joe Gunderson, Agar, S.D. 78 and Blaine Kaufman, Pretty Prairie, Kan. 78; 7. Casey Breuer, Mandan, N.D. 76; 8. Tie Ethan Crouch, Smiley, Texas 75 and Seth Coursen, Casper, Wyo. 75.
Steer wrestling – 2014 champion: Trell Etbauer
1 Dean Gorsuch, Gering, Neb. 3.3; 2. Tyler Haugen, Sturgis, S.D. 3.9; 3. tie Stockton Graves, Alva, Okla. and Chad Van Campen, Granada, Colo. 4.1; 5. Trell Etbauer, Goodwell, Okla. 4.2; 6. tie Brad Johnson, Reva, S.D. and Dru Melvin, Hebron, Neb. 4.3; 8. Tyler Pearson, Louisville, Miss. 4.4.
1. Rhett Kennedy, Chowchilla, Calif. 3.5 seconds; 2. Kyle Irwin, Robertsdale, Ala. 3.8; 3. Trell Etbauer, Goodwell, Okla. 3.9; 4. J.W. Lorenz, Washburn, N.D. 4.0; 5. (tie) Sean Mulligan, Coleman, Okla. and John Franzen, Riverton, Wyo. 4.1 each; 7. tie Casey Martin, Sulphur, La. 4.2 and Tyler Waguespack, Gonzales, La. 4.2.
1. Trell Etbauer, Goodwell, Okla. 8.1 seconds on two head; 2. Rhett Kennedy, Chowchilla, Calif. 8.5; 3. Kyle Irwin, Robertsdale, Ala. 8.8; 4. Casey Martin, Sulphur, La. 8.9; 5. (tie) Joe Buffington and John Franzen, 9.3 each; 7. Riley Duvall, Checotah, Okla. 9.5; 8. Chason Floyd, Buffalo, S.D. 9.8.
Tie-down roping – 2014 champion: Cade Swor
1. Cade Swor, Winnie, Texas 9.2; 2. Bryson Sechrist, Apache, Okla. 9.8; 3. Scott Kormos, Teague, Texas 10.1; 4. Ryan Jarrett, Comanche, Okla. 10.2; 5. Will Howell, Stillwater, Okla. 10.6; 6. tie Jade Lyon, Meadow, S.D., Clint Kindred, Oral, S.D. and Marty Yates, Stephenville, Texas 10.8.
1. Cody McCartney, Ottawa Lake, Mich. 8.3 seconds; Cody Quaney, Cheney, Kan. 9.2; 3. Cade Swor, Winnie, Texas 9.4; 4. Ryan Watkins, Bluff Dale, Texas 9.7; 5. Seth Mahaffey, Sweetwater, Texas 9.9; 6. Jade Lyon, Meadow, S.D. 10.3.
1. Cade Swor, Winnie, Texas, 18.6 seconds on 2 head; 2. Seth Mahaffey, Sweetwater, Texas 20.9; 3. Jade Lyon, Meadow, S.D. 21.1; 4. Ryan Watkins, Bluff Dale, Texas 21.8; 5. Bryson Sechrist, Apache, Okla. 22.1; 6. Marty Yates, Stephenville, Texas 22.6.
Saddle bronc riding – 2014 champion Bryce Miller
1. Bryce Miller, Nelson, Neb. 81 points on Beutler and Son Rodeo’s Dipsy Doodle; 2. Troy Crowser, Whitewood, S.D. 80; 3. tie Jesse Bail, Camp Crook, S.D. and Colton Miller, Lance Creek Wyo. 79; 5. tie Cole Elshere, Faith, S.D. and Chase Miller, Ogallala, Neb. 78.
Team roping – 2014 champions: Ty Blasingame and JW Borrego
1. Chace Thompson, Munday, Texas/Jett Hillman, Purcell, Okla. 5.1 seconds; 2. Ty Blasingame, Sugar City, Colo./JW Borrego, Weston, Colo. 5.4; 3. Brian Dunning, McClave, Colo./T.J. Watts, Eads, Colo. 5.5; 4. Joe Beaver, Huntsville, Texas/McCoy Profili, Anderson, Texas 6.3.
1. Ty Blasingame, Sugar City, Colo./JW Borrego, Weston, Colo. 5.0 seconds; 2. Brady Wakefield, O’Neill, Neb./Ty Talsma, Verdigre, Neb. 5.6; 3. Brian Dunning, McClave, Colo./TJ Watts, Eads, Colo. 5.8; 4. Brandon Wyckoff, Bayard, Neb./Dustin Wyckoff, Broken Bow, Neb. 7.2.
1. Ty Blasingame, Sugar City, Colo./JW Borrego, Weston, Colo. 10.4 seconds on two head; 2. Brian Dunning, McClave, Colo./TJ Watts, Eads, Colo. 11.3; 3. Brady Wakefield, O’Neill, Neb./Ty Talsma, Verdigre, Neb. 12.5; 4. Cole Dorenkamp, Lamar, Colo./Jesse Jolly, Agate, Colo. 14.3.
Barrel racing – 2014 champion: Christy Loflin
1. Christy Loflin, Franktown, Colo. 17.41; 2. Kelly Yates, Pueblo, Colo. 17.45; 3. tie Amy Prather, Goddard, Kan. and Cindy Gillespie, Ransom, Texas 17.66; 5. Natalie Foutch, Eldora, Iowa 17.68; 6. Hope Delaware, Atwood, Colo. 17.78; 7. Toni Hardin, Wetmore, Colo. 17.79; 8. Emily Holton, Tonganoxie, Kan. 17.80; 9. tie Brittany Pozzi, Victoria, Texas 17.81 and Ashley Schafer, Yoder, Wyo. 17.81 and CJ Vondette, Rifle, Colo. 17.81; 12. tie Cheyenne Shipps, Dadeville, Mo. 17.85 and Kaley Bass, Kissimmee, Fl. 17.85.
Bull riding – 2014 champion: Corey Maier
1. Corey Maier, Timber Lake, S.D. 85 points on Beutler and Son Rodeo’s #980; 2. Brian Larson, Dacono, Colo. 82; 3. Jarrod Craig, Hillsboro, Texas 79; 4. Jake Booco, Hayden, Colo. 73; 5. Patrick Geipel, Elbert, Colo. 70; 6. Bart Miller, Oshkosh, Neb. 69; 7. Clayton Savage, Yoder, Wyo. 68.