Full Site View
Quick Links
  My Bulletin
  Contact The Bulletin

Mail: Southern statues symbolize suppession

Mail: Thanks for helping Aiden

More opinion

Ag News

Fall: Good time to spray musk thistle in rosette stage

Robertson and Delsing re-elected chair, vice chair of NWB

More Ag News

NorthPlatte Weather

Email Article | Print Article
News - Local News
House burns on West 14thTell North Platte what you think
Photo by Joe Chitwood
Fire started in a van Saturday and spread inside the house.

Daniel Endicott and his wife were awakened by loud noises Saturday evening. They ran outside to find their van parked alongside the house was on fire. 

Despite efforts to stop the fire, it burned the van and most of the Endicotts' personal property inside the house at 1420 West 14th.

Endicott said he was asleep in the bedroom with the dog and his wife was sleeping on the couch. They were awakened by a loud noise around 8:15 p.m. His wife ran to the living room. They asked each other if they had done something to make the noise.

When Endicott looked outside, he saw smoke coming out the passenger side windows of the van, which was parked in the lean-to garage next to the house. Endicott called the fire department and ran outside.

Jay Miller, who lives several blocks away, was driving by. He jumped out of his car and helped Endicott string out a garden hose and try to put out the fire, but they could not contain it.

When firefighters arrived a few minutes later, they found the van engulfed in flames and the flames had spread to the house.

Rachael Miller, who lives across the street, said she heard a loud noise, followed by a second noise that sounded like an explosion. She told the Bulletin she heard tires squealing and a car driving away.  

When Rachael ran outside, she saw smoke and flames around the van.

Firemen soon got the fire under control. The van's contents were totally consumed and personal property inside the house was heavily damaged. Endicott said he had no insurance.

The house is part of a duplex. The other half of the duplex did not suffer flame damage.

Endicott's sister also lives in the house, but was away visiting relatives. When she arrived home, she burst into tears. Endicott comforted her and said he was glad no one was hurt. His sister told bystanders that they were in the process of moving out of the house.




Like this story to send to your facebook

The North Platte Bulletin - Published 5/17/2014
Copyright © 2014 northplattebulletin.com - All rights reserved.
Flatrock Publishing, Inc. - 1300 E 4th St., Suite F - North Platte, NE 69101
Show me Talk Back during this visit