Full Site View
Quick Links
  My Bulletin
  Contact The Bulletin

Mail: Southern statues symbolize suppession

Mail: Thanks for helping Aiden

More opinion

Ag News

Fall: Good time to spray musk thistle in rosette stage

Robertson and Delsing re-elected chair, vice chair of NWB

More Ag News

NorthPlatte Weather

Email Article | Print Article
News - Local News
North Platte man heads to prison for child's near drowning Tell North Platte what you think
Courtesy Photo­Image
Trevor I. Perry

Trevor Perry was sentenced Monday to 3-5 years in prison in the near drowning of three-year-old Landon Schroeder a year ago.

Perry, 29, was fishing with Schroeder on May 6, 2013 at a small lake on the east side of North Platte. Investigators said at some point the boy got into the water. Perry found him unconscious under the water about 15 feet from the shore.

Perry retrieved the child from the water but instead of calling for help, he collected his gear and Landon and walked from the area to his vehicle parked on the U.S. Highway 30 bypass, investigators said. Then he drove home, while Landon remained unconscious. When they arrived home, his mother called an ambulance.

The boy was revived that night in the emergency room of Great Plains Regional Medical Center in North Platte and flown by helicopter to Denver Children's Hospital.. A family member told the Bulletin later that the boy was revived two more times during the flight and once again in Denver.

Despite that, Landon improved significantly every day after he arrived at the Children’s Hospital. Family members said it was miraculous. A Face book page called “Prayers for Landon” attracted nearly 4,000 members.

Landon was released from the Denver hospital about a week later. Several fundraisers were held throughout the North Platte community on his behalf.

Perry paid the required 10 percent of the $150,000 bond and got out of jail. But then he assaulted his 61-year-old step-mother May 16.

Police said Perry and his step-mother shared a home, and she said Perry was trying to drive while he was either intoxicated or under the influence of a drug. His step-mother tried to talk him out of it and offered to give him a ride, but Perry refused. When she tried to take Perry's keys, he bit her on the arm, causing visible injury.

Perry was arrested again that night. For the first few days back in jail, he was considered at risk of suicide. Dentention officers took precautions, putting him a “Ferguson smock” that is made of heavy material and cannot be twisted into a noose.

Before sentencing Monday, Lincoln County District Judge Richard Birch asked Perry if he wanted to speak, and Perry turned around toward family members who were seated in the front row, and apologized. Birch ordered him to face the judge’s bench, and issued the sentence.

Birch ordered Perry to 3-5 years in the state penitentiary, with credit for the 349 days he’s been in jail.


Like this story to send to your facebook

The North Platte Bulletin - Published 4/28/2014
Copyright © 2014 northplattebulletin.com - All rights reserved.
Flatrock Publishing, Inc. - 1300 E 4th St., Suite F - North Platte, NE 69101
Show me Talk Back during this visit