Brian Jackson and daughters, 2013.
Brian Jackson was cooking tater tots on the stove on Jan. 13. He went into the living room and when he went back to the kitchen the pan was on fire.
Flames from the grease were lapping at the ceiling, he said.
Jackson grabbed the pan and ran outside. The hot grease splashed his arms, thigh and face. He suffered severe burns. He spent more than two weeks at St. Elizabeth’s in Lincoln, where he received skin grafts on his arms and thigh.
Jackson, who lives in Sutherland, is a single father to two girls, Tessa, 11, and Carley, 10. He is a 1990 graduate of Hershey High School.
The accident was a blow to his plans. He had just started classes at North Platte Community College, but he missed so much class time that he had to withdraw this semester. And, he is unable to work.
A fundraiser will be held for Jackson and his girls on Saturday at the Bar in Hershey, with sandwiches and live music from Innocent Mischief.
Jackson’s sister Amanda and his cousin Melissa Harmon organized the fundraiser, which includes a bake sale as well as a live and silent auction. The band is donating their performance too. Pulled pork sandwiches will be served at 5 p.m. Live music starts at 8 p.m.
Jackson said he is getting by on savings and contributions. His former boss paid his rent for a couple months.
“I don’t know what I’d do without friends and family,” Jackson said. “I’m really grateful to them. I try to keep a good attitude. A lot of people are dealing with things that are worse.”
“It really touches your heart when people help out,” he said.