To protect rural water wells from damage during the flooding expected along the South Platte River, the University of Nebraska advises:
• Store a supply of clean water.
• Disconnect the power supply.
• If possible, have the well vent replaced with a water-tight plug, or have the casing permanently extended above flood level.
• Cover the top of the well with heavy-duty plastic and tightly secure it with waterproof tape (not duct tape) to keep debris and sediment out of the well, making post-flood clean-up easier.
• Prepare to have the well tested and disinfected (if needed) after flood waters recede.
The South Platte River will rise sharply on Wednesday and Thursday, increasing a total of 8 feet or so.
Peak flows are predicted to arrive in North Platte around 2 p.m. Friday and continue for about 24 hours.
Lowland floods are expected.