A North Platte woman and her grandson were suffered first-degree burns July 4 when a firework sailed into their yard.
Diana Edwards, 1114 West A, was sitting in a lawn chair in front of the house around 10:15 p.m. Her 9-month-old grandson lay across her lap. A rocket came at her and flew into her stomach. The rocket hit the baby’s back and then hit her daughter’s car, too.
Their clothes were burned, she told the Bulletin.
“The baby was lying on my arm and tummy,” Edwards said. “It hit me and kind of went up his back.”
“It probably only lasted a few seconds but I kept thinking – is this thing ever going to quit attacking?” she said.
Edwards and her daughter quickly took the baby’s clothes off and applied cold cloths. As they did so, her grandson noticed that Edward’s shirt was still smoldering, so they put that out too. They went to Great Plains Regional Medical Center.
She said that was the end of the fireworks at her place this year.
Edwards was burned on her stomach and hand. She said the physician first thought she had second degree burns, but the official report was first-degree burns to both victims. Blisters were treated with salve and bandages.
“He seems to be doing okay, as long as infection doesn’t set it,” she said of her grandson Friday.
Because the child was injured, police were called by the hospital staff. They advised Edwards to talk to the neighbors and fill out insurance forms.
Edwards said her son-in-law was shooting off some smaller fireworks, nothing big at that time.
Witnesses told her the rocket came from the west. She talked to neighbors in that direction, but they doubted that it came from them.