The North Platte police department reminds everyone of some simple steps they can take to safely enjoy all Nebraskaland Days events. "Whether driving to or from an event or attending one, please drink responsibly," Police Information Officer Rodney Brown said. The consumption of alcohol, drugs and driving just don’t mix."
The police offer a few suggestions:
• You must be 21 years of age or older to legally consume alcohol and law officers will be strictly enforcing this law.
• No outside alcohol is permitted at the Wild West Arena.
• Before drinking, please designate a sober driver and give that person your keys
• Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin.
• Stay hydrated. Alcohol dehydrates and draws vitamins and minerals out of your body. Drink plenty of water.
• If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, don’t hesitate to contact law enforcement via 911.
And remember, if you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.
Driving a vehicle while impaired is not worth the risk of being arrested or harming yourself or others, Brown said.
"Whether you’ve had way too many or just one too many, it’s not worth the risk," he said.