The racing action was jam-packed with double features at Lincoln County Raceway in North Platte, creating an epic IMCA Saturday Night Thunder show.
The racing started off with features that were halted by Mother Nature just a week ago.
Picking up feature race victories in the early evening were Cole Hodges, Bryan Herrick, Casey Werkmeister and Dillon Thompson. Hodges, Herrick and Thompson would sweep their divisions features on this special night.
Cole Hodges of Ogallala took an early lead on lap four and was able to run away and hide for the win the IMCA Modified division. Piloting the patriotic themed rocketship, North Platte’s Andrew Dillenburg earned runner-up honors in the feature. Leading the way from the onset was Dave Pederson of Brady, as he paced the field for the first three laps. Pederson was up on the steering wheel to earn a third place finish. Scott Eaton of York crossed the finish line in fourth in the opening feature.
Bryan Herrick of Curtis showcased his veteran driving skills to power his way to the checkered flag first in the IMCA Northern Sport Modified feature. Herrick found his way to the front from his middle of the pack starting position on the fourth circuit and he never looked back in a yellow flag filled feature.
Displaying great consistency on each lap, North Platte’s Robby Kosmacek and Brandon Poessnecker of Atkinson earned podium finishes in second and third in the opening feature.
Rounding out the top five in the opener for Northern Sport Mods was Rodger Morash and Brent Gibson, both of North Platte.
Darting to the front on the opening lap was all that Casey Werkmeister of Maywood needed to do to hold off all challengers in the first IMCA Stock Car feature. On Werkmeister's heels for much of the race, Casey Woken of Ogallala earned his runner-up honors by holding off third place driver Kyle Werkmeister of Maywood. Having a great start to his night of racing, Overton veteran driver Bob Hoing was fourth overall in the feature. Rounding out the top five was Mike Kress of North Platte.
Finding his groove and hitting his stride, Campbell hotshot Dillon Thompson took home the victory in the IMCA Hobby Stock division after taking the lead on lap seven. Chasing after and keeping his sights set on the Thompson was Benkelman’s Austin Davis who was in position to take over the lead if there were any slip-ups by the Campbell driver.
Davis settled for runner-up position just in front of third place finisher Jeromy Wagner of Kensington, Kan. The flying woodchuck, Chuck Ledbetter was fourth overall after leading early on until Thompson took the lead.
In the nightcap for the IMCA Modifieds, familiar face to the winners circle Cole Hodges of Ogallala garnered the lead on the second circuit and notched the victory. The Brady Bullet Dave Pedersen was second overall, after leading the first lap and then relinquishing the lead to Hodges. North Platte’s Andrew Dillenburg finished third after winning the heat race.
Repeating as the victor was Bryan Herrick of Curtis in the IMCA Northern Sport Modified Feature.
Heat race winner Herrick pulled into the lead position near the halfway point of the yellow-flag riddled feature and avoided incidents and took home top honors from his sixth row starting position. Corey Cruzan of Kearney found the rhythm and rhyme in the waning laps to charge into contention and his efforts were rewarded with a runner-up finish. Paul Donavan of McCook was in the mix for top five honors throughout the race and even led the initial five laps, to settle for third place accolades.
Crossing the finish line fourth was Sutherland’s Henry Henderson, after he led lap six and seven before relinquishing the lead to Herrick. Terry Dressel of North Platte and Jimmy Berkevich of Rapid City, S.D. earned heat race wins.
The class too tough to tame exceeded their billing as the lead see-sawed between four different drivers in the IMCA Stock Car division before Ogallala’s Casey Woken snared the lead with three laps remaining to pick up the victory after winning an earlier heat race.
Maywood’s Casey Werkmeister finished second after having held the lead near the midway point until Woken took over the pole position.
Filling in for Mikey Dancer with flying color results was Mike Kress of North Platte who finished third overall. Staying out of trouble and staying consistent, Darin Racek of Lexington earned a fourth place finish. Early leader Kyle Werkmeister of Maywood rounded out your top five finishers.
Staying ‘In the Zone’ and cruising to his second victory of the night in the IMCA Hobby Stock division was Dillon Thompson of Campbell. Thompson took the lead on the fourth circuit and put it on cruise control as he mastered the dry slick oval.
Recovering nicely from incidents was Benkelman’s Austin Davis with a runner-up finish. Arnold hotshoe Brady Weinman earned a podium finish in third place after leading the way for the first three laps of the main event. Kensington’s Jeromy Wagner and Chuck Ledbetter of Loomis rounded out the top five in fourth and fifth, respectively.
Riding the cushion to near perfection, Overton’s Jacob Olmstead piloted his Dodge Neon to victory in the IMCA Sport Compact Feature by leading every lap in dominating fashion.
Zach Olmstead of Overton took home a runner-up finish, as he held off Tara Gaughenbaugh of North Platte who finished third overall and Amanda Dancer of North Platte, who crossed the finish line in fourth place overall.
Modified (Makeup) Feature
1. 34jw-Cole Hodges; 2. 71-Andrew Dillenburg; 3. 4p-Dave Pedersen; 4. 39-Scott Eaton.
1. 34jw-Cole Hodges; 2. 4p-Dave Pedersen; 3. 71-Andrew Dillenburg; 4. 19j-Dillon Mlady; 5. 39-Scott Eaton.
--Heat: 1. 71-Andrew Dillenburg; 2. 34jw-Cole Hodges; 3. 4p-Dave Pedersen; 4. 39-Scott Eaton; 5. 19j-Dillon Mlady.
Northern Sport Modified (Makeup) Feature
1. 0-Bryan Herrick; 2. 15R-Robby Kosmacek; 3. 52p-Brandon Poessnecker; 4. 17-Rodger Morash; 5. 18-Brent Gibson; 6. 8c-Corey Cruzan; 7. 19-Jimmy Berkevich; 9. r12j-Russ Jones; 10. 7-Jeremy Halouska; 11. 11h-Henry Henderson; 12. 13-Terry Dressel; 13. 3-Gary Long; 14. 12j-Kerry Jones; 15. 79s-James Stewart; 16. 53dc-Dalten Collins; 17. 69-Adam Kackmeister; 18. 1-Paul Donavan; 19. 58x-Jerry Cox.
Northern Sport Modified Feature
1. 0-Bryan Herrick; 2. 8c-Corey Cruzan; 3. 1-Paul Donavan; 4. 11h-Henry Henderson; 5. 53dc-Dalten Collins; 6. 52p-Brandon Poessnecker; 7. 17-Rodger Morash; 8. 69-Adam Kackmeister; 9. 12j-Kerry Jones; 10. 13-Terry Dressel; 11. 79s-James Stewart; 12. 7-Jeremy Halouska; 13. 3-Gary Long; 14. r12j-Russ Jones; 15. 15r-Robby Kosmacek; 16. 18-Brent Gibson; 17. 58x-Jerry Cox; 18. 19-Jimmy Berkevich.
--Heat 1: 19-Jimmy Berkevich; 2. 1-Paul Donavan; 3. 18-Brent Gibson; 4. 53dc-Dalten Collins; 5. r12j-Russ Jones.
--Heat 2: 1. 13-Terry Dressel; 2. 15r-Robby Kosmacek; 3. 52p-Brandon Poessnecker; 4. 8c-Corey Cruzan; 5. 69-Adam Kackmeister.
--Heat 3: 1. 0-Bryan Herrick; 2. 7-Jeremy Halouska; 3. 17-Rodger Morash; 4. 11h-Henry Henderson; 5. 3-Gary Long.
Stock Car (Makeup) Feature
1. 24w-Casey Werkmeister; 2. 35jw-Casey Woken; 3. 42w-Kyle Werkmeister; 4. 09h-Bob Hoing; 5. 45-Mike Kress; 6. 24-Bob Chalupa; 7. 75-Dan Eller; 8. 19-Dana Morgan; 9. 31-Darin Racek.
Stock Car Feature
1. 35jw-Casey Woken; 2. 24w-Casey Werkmeister; 3. 45-Mike Kress; 4. 31-Darin Racek; 5. 42w-Kyle Werkmeister; 6. 09h-Bob Hoing; 7. 24-Bob Chalupa; 8. 19-Dana Morgan; 9. 75-Dan Eller.
--Heat 1: 35jw-Casey Woken; 2. 45-Mike Kress; 3. 24-Bob Chalupa.
--Heat 2: 1. 24w-Casey Werkmeister; 2. 42w-Kyle Werkmeister; 3. 75-Dan Eller; 4. 09h-Bob Hoing.
Hobby Stock (Makeup) Feature
1. 11-Dillon Thompson; 2. 22-Austin Davis; 3. 29-Jeromy Wagner; 4. 5-Chuck Ledbetter; 5. 26-Russ Speck; 6. 44u-Andrew Baumgardner; 7. 7t-Tyson Canas; 8. 7s-Scott Gibson; 9. 65-Rick Eller; 10. 22w-Brady Weinman; 11. 25-Chris Taylor.
Hobby Stock Feature
1. 11-Dillon Thompson; 2. 22-Austin Davis; 3. 22w-Brady Weinman; 4. 29-Jeromy Wagner; 5. 5-Chuck Ledbetter; 6. 44u-Andrew Baumgardner; 7. 7t-Tyson Canas; 8. 65-Rick Eller; 9. 26-Russ Speck; 10. 25-Chris Taylor; 11. 7s-Scott Gibson.
--Heat 1: 1. 11-Dillon Thompson; 2. 22-Austin Davis; 3. 26-Russ Speck; 4. 7t-Tyson Canas.
--Heat 2: 1. 22w-Brady Weinman; 2. 29-Jeromy Wagner; 3. 5-Chuck Ledbetter; 4. 7s-Scott Gibson; 5. 44u-Andrew Baumgardner.
Sport Compact Feature
1. 88j-Jacob Olmstead; 2. 98z-Zach Olmstead; 3. 40t-Tara Gaughenbaugh; 4. 45-Amanda Dancer.
--Heat: 1. 98z-Zach Olmstead; 2. 45-Amanda Dancer; 3. 40t-Tara Gaughenbaugh; 4. 88j-Jacob Olmstead.