The Great Plains Regional Medical Center’s Callahan Cancer Center has received its American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer accreditation along with an outstanding achievement award. This accreditation is awarded to cancer care programs that have made a commitment to providing high quality, comprehensive, multidisciplinary patient-centered care, demonstrated by the CoC accreditation standards.
Through the accreditation, the Callahan Cancer Center joins an elite group of nearly 1,500 other cancer care programs that have also gained this accreditation.
“This accreditation and award demonstrates the hard work and commitment our cancer center team exhibits on a daily basis,” said Kathy Feagler, director of the Callahan Cancer Center.
With the CoC accreditation, the Callahan Cancer Center can guarantee the highest quality of care because of the standards established by the CoC for cancer programs. According to facs.org/cancer, these standards include:
• Comprehensive care including a complete range of state-of-the-art services and equipment
• A multidisciplinary team approach to coordinate the best available treatment options
• Information about ongoing cancer clinical trials and new treatment options
• Access to prevention and early detection programs, cancer education, and support services
• A cancer registry that offers lifelong patient follow-up
• Ongoing monitoring and improvements in cancer care
• Quality care, close to home
The CoC Outstanding Achievement Award was given to a total of 79 accredited cancer programs throughout the United States in 2012.
The goal of this award is to increase the awareness about quality care choices among cancer patients and their loved ones. The award recognizes top cancer programs that have achieved excellence in providing quality care for cancer patients.
“Everything we do is for our patients; we all strive to give them the best care possible, said Feagler, “With this accreditation we will be able to continually evaluate our performance and ensure that we continue to provide quality patient care.”