Photo by Tamie Thurn
Jeff Joldersma (66) of McClelland, Iowa and Ogallala hotshot Casey Woken
Photo by Tamie Thurn
Rocking Ronnie Wallace of McCook holds off the charge from Andrew Dillenburg of North Platte during the last laps of the IMCA Modified Feature.
Photo by Tamie Thurn
Setting a blistering pace and running away for the IMCA Northern Sport Modified victory was Curtis wheelman Bryan Herrick.
Getting the 2013 racing season started off right was an understatement as the action on the oval was red-hot at Lincoln County Raceway in North Platte on Saturday.Earning IMCA Feature victories against the highly-contested field of competitors were Ronnie Wallace, Bryan Herrick, Jeff Joldersma, Austin Davis and Zach Olmstead.
It was a battle of the front row starters in the IMCA Modified feature, with pole sitter Andrew Dillenburg of North Platte leading the way for the first seven laps. Staying in contention and keeping Dillenburg within his sights was Ronnie Wallace of McCook. Wallace was able to slip underneath Dillenburg during lap eight to take the lead, which he would never relinquish. Wallace would set sail and claim the checkered flag of the feature, to go along with his earlier in the night heat race victory.
Dillenburg continued to be up on the wheel and earned a runner-up finish.
Gaining familiarity and comfort with each and every lap around the famed Lincoln County Raceway oval, Cory Sample of Winnemucca, Nev. earned a podium finish in third place. Rounding out the top five in the Modified feature was Dave Pedersen of Brady, Nebraska in fourth and Maxwell, Nebraka wheelman Charley Brown was fifth overall.
Wasting no time to garner the lead in an attempt to run away with the victory was Bryan Herrick of Curtis in the IMCA Northern Sport Modified Feature.
Herrick gained the lead on the fourth circuit and never looked back in claiming the checkered flag.
Making a valiant return to dirt track racing was North Platte’s Brent Gibson with a runner-up finish to his credit as he was able to avoid trouble from his outside front row starting position during the feature.
Perseverance paid off for Brandon Poessnecker of Atkinson. Poessnecker had an early setback and was forced to work his way back through the field and his efforts were rewarded with a third place finish when the checkered flag flew.
Pole sitter Rodger Morash of North Platte led the initial three laps of the feature before getting caught in the marbles of turn four. Morash stayed consistency the rest of the way and was able to earn a fourth place finish. Coming from deep in the field of competitors, Jerry Cox of North Platte earned fifth place honors for his ability to avoid incidents and put together consistent laps. Heat race winner Jeremy Halouska of North Platte was involved in an accident in the early laps of the feature.
In one of the most competitive divisions in southwest Nebraska, Jeff Joldersma of McClelland, Iowa walked away with the feature victory in the Stock Car division. The lead changed hands five times during the main event, with Joldersma leading the final five circuits to claim the victory.
Runner-up Casey Woken of Ogallala held the lead twice during the feature event, as he was always among the top five throughout the highlighted event. Heat race winner Casey Werkmeister of Maywood worked through traffic from his fourth row starting position to entrench his car into the top five and earn a third place finish. On his back bumper was early leader Kyle Werkmeister of Maywood. Kyle led the first five laps of the race, before relinquishing the lead and recovering quite nicely to earn fourth place honors.
Heat race winner Mikey Dancer of North Platte completed a successful return to his hometown oval with a fifth place finish in the feature.
Putting on a dominating performance; Benkelman bullet Austin Davis led all 20 laps of the IMCA Hobby Stock feature to claim top honors from his outside front row starting position. Showcasing great consistency throughout the contest was Chuck Ledbetter of Loomis who finished as the runner-up in the feature.
Rick Eller of North Platte and heat race winner Brady Weinman of Arnold finished third and fourth overall in the feature event. Rounding out the top five was North Platte’s Scott Gibson.
Making a successful debut at Lincoln County Raceway was Zach Olmstead of Overton with a feature victory in the IMCA Sport Compact division. Olmstead was a force to be reckoned with, as he led every lap of the heat race and feature event to sweep top honors.
Earning runner-up honors in the feature event for the entry level division was Tara Gaughenbaugh of North Platte.
Lincoln County Raceway results, May 5
• Feature: 1. 3rw-Ronnie Wallace; 2. 71-Andrew Dillenburg; 3. 00-Cory Sample; 4. 4p-Dave Pedersen; 5. 4c-Charley Brown.
• Heat: 1. 3rw-Ronnie Wallace; 2. 4c-Charley Brown; 3. 71-Andrew Dillenburg; 4. 00-Cory Sample; 5. 4p-Dave Pedersen.
Northern Sport Modified
• Feature: 1. 0-Bryan Herrick; 2. 18-Brent Gibson; 3. 52p-Brandon Poessnecker; 4. 17-Rodger Morash; 5. 58x-Jerry Cox; 6. 11h-Henry Henderson; 7. 3-Gary Long; 8. 12j-Kerry Jones; 9. 13-Terry Dressel; 10. 53dc-Dalten Collins; 11. r12j-Russ Jones; 12. 69-Adam Kackmeister; 13. 20b-Brandon Clough; 14. 7-Jeremy Halouska; 15. 15r-Robby Kosmacek.
• Heat 1: 1. 7-Jeremy Halouska; 2. 52p-Brandon Poessnecker; 3. 58x-Jerry Cox; 4. 18-Brent Gibson; 5. 13-Terry Dressel.
• Heat 2: 1. 0-Bryan Herrick; 2. 3-Gary Long; 3. 17-Rodger Morash; 4. 11h-Henry Henderson; 5. 15r-Robby Kosmacek.
• Feature: 1. 66-Jeff Joldersma; 2. 35jw-Casey Woken; 3. 24w-Casey Werkmeister; 4. 42w-Kyle Werkmeister; 5. 45-Mikey Dancer; 6. 24-Bob Chalupa; 7. 09h-Bob Hoing; 8. 31-Darin Racek; 9. 20b-Kurt Trusty; 10. 75-Dan Eller; 11. 11k-Kyle Clough; 12. 16w-Jeff Whiting; 13. 6-Dallas Whiting.
• Heat 1: 1. 24w-Casey Werkmeister; 2. 35jw-Casey Woken; 3. 42w-Kyle Werkmeister; 4. 11k-Kyle Clough; 5. 75-Dan Eller.
• Heat 2: 1. 45-Mikey Dancer; 2. 24-Bob Chalupa; 3. 31-Darin Racek; 4. 20b-Kurt Trusty; 5. 09h-Bob Hoing.
• Feature: 1. 22-Austin Davis; 2. 5-Chuck Ledbetter; 3. 65-Rick Eller; 4. 22w-Brady Weinman; 5. 7s-Scott Gibson; 6. 7t-Tyson Canas; 7. 25-Chris Taylor.
• Heat: 1. 22w-Brady Weinman; 2. 22-Austin Davis; 3. 65-Rick Eller; 4. 5-Chuck Ledbetter; 5. 7s-Scott Gibson.
• Feature: 1. 98z-Zach Olmstead; 2. 40t-Tara Gaughenbaugh.
• Heat: 1. 98z-Zach Olmstead; 2. 40t-Tara Gaughenbaugh.