Seven attractions will be able to ramp up promotional efforts this season, thanks to grants that were awarded since mid-March by the North Platte/Lincoln County Visitors Bureau.Just over $30,000 has been awarded in promotional fund grants to tourism sites around Lincoln County, and a sponsorship was approved, following approval by an advisory committee, Assistant Director Muriel Clark said.
The grants will go to:
• The 2013 North Platte Rail Fest, which draws visitors from all over the world to North Platte, received $15,000 to promote the festival that will be held this year on Sept. 20-22.
• The annual Brady Days celebration, one of Lincoln County’s best small town celebrations, received $500 to help promote events this year. Brady Days are scheduled from Aug. 2–4.
• The Nebraska Cattlemen’s Ball, scheduled June 7-8 at the Neal Hansen ranch just west of Sutherland, will draw visitors from all over Nebraska and the United States.
A special Union Pacific passenger train is scheduled to bring in visitors from eastern Nebraska to the celebration. The bureau committed $4,000 to sponsor an event at the ball to help the ball's fundraising efforts and to bring more attention to the things to see and do in Lincoln County.
• The NRoute Entertainment Summer Music Series, scheduled on Thursday nights from June 13-Aug. 8 at the Fort Cody Trading Post, will receive $1,508 in promotional funds to help market the series and $4,450 in sponsorship to help with expenses.
• The Miss Nebraska Scholarship Pageant will receive $2,000 to draw visitors to the annual pageant scheduled for June 6–8.
• The Lincoln County Raceway at the Lincoln County Fairgrounds will receive $1,500 to promote the 2013 racing series that begins May 4 and runs through Aug. 10.
• The Lincoln County Historical Museum will receive $3,007 to promote the Museum in the coming months.
The grants are awarded after the events. Recipients must submit records of expenditures which are then reimbursed, Clark said.
The Advisory Committee hears grant application at each monthly meeting, which are held on the third Wednesdays.
Applications are available by calling the office at 308-532-4729.
The deadline to apply is 60 days before the start of the event. Each application also must be in before the first day of the month in which the application will be considered, Clark said.