The North Platte City Council agreed to hire O’Hara Lindsay and Associates Inc., a lobbying firm based in Lincoln, for legislative and governmental representation in the Nebraska Legislature.The council unanimously approved Tuesday.
Councilman Brook Baker raised the only question, asking for clarification of the fee. The fee is $5,000 for the rest of 2013. The city will be billed in eight monthly installments of $625.
A clause in the contract also states that any expenses incurred by O’Hara Lindsay and Associates in performing these duties for the city will be added on, but officials said those kinds of expenses are rare.
Also, the council agreed to suspend the rule typically requiring three readings before a major decision is made, and unanimously approved the paving of 18th St. from Hayes to Buffalo Bill Ave., a distance of about four blocks.
The paving will complete a project that began in the 2012 construction season, when a longer stretch of 18th St. was paved from Sheridan to Hayes. This project will complete the new pavement on 18th all the way to Buffalo Bill. And, Buffalo Bill Ave.
Cody St. from 17th to 18th will be improved as part of this phase, too.
Most of the cost will be paid by a $175,000 Community Development Block Grant.
The “three-reading” rule was suspended at the request of the city engineering department because no assessments of property owners will be necessary for properties along the major portion of the paving district.
Also, the council:
• Authorized the mayor to give written consent to Kody Keno, Inc. to operate Keno Lottery at the Platte Bar, 119 West 6th St.
• Authorized the Farmers Market to operate in the Parkade Plaza parking lot during the upcoming market season, with the understanding that the market will maintain continuous liability insurance coverage.
The market season (on Saturdays) is from June 15 to Oct. 26. Tuesday afternoon markets will begin July 2, according to council documents.
• Forwarded the application of Jeremy Clutter as liquor license manager at Ruby Tuesdays, 2320 South Jeffers, to the Liquor Control Commission with no recommendation.
• Granted an application by the Platte Bar for a special designated permit on June 14-15 from 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. both days for a beer garden during Nebraskaland Days.
• Granted an application by BPO Elks No. 985 for a special designated permit on May 3-4 from 9 a.m.-1 a.m. at the North Platte Elks Lodge for a beer garden during the annual Honky Tonk Barbeque.
• Approved the mayor’s re-appointment of Savannah Sellers to the Housing Authority Board.