The North Platte city council will consider giving the green light to a consultant’s study of the city's recreation facilities Tuesday evening.
The board of the city’s Quality Growth Fund recently agreed to donate $51,500 toward a consultant’s fee for the study. That donation would give officials all they need -- $85,000 -- to hire a consulting firm from Colorado.
But the study won’t proceed with the council’s approval.
The QGF grant is not far from the top on the council agenda. The next agenda item is a contractual agreement with Greenplay, LLC, of Lafayette, Colo. to conduct the study.
If the council approves, Greenplay would conduct the study in six months, organizers have said.
The council meets at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall.
The grant would be a drop in the bucket of North Platte’s quality growth fund. The growth fund will contain nearly $3 million at year’s end. The fund is derived from a slice of city sales tax money that slowly and steadily accumulates. The money is earmarked for economic development, or “quality growth.”
For more information and a lively talkback debate, see the story “Group finds money to study city recreation” on the Bulletin’s front page.
Among other items on the agenda:
• Contracts for the city's self-insuring health and accident insurance plan.
• A new investment policy for the Newburn Fund, a long-standing, large bequest for the city parks. Under the new policy, 20 percent of the fund will be held in local banks and managed by the city. The other 80 percent would be in prudent, diversified outside investments.
• An agreement to rebuild the South Platte River Bridges.
• Updates to the city's parking schedules and speed zones.
• A $417,000 grant to the city's public transit program.
• Upgrades to the city building codes (on second reading.)
• A liquor permit for professional wrestling April 20 at the D&N Event Center.
• Appointment of Dennis Thompson as the interim fire chief, effective immediately.