Nebraska’s political leaders will talk about farm policies at the Nebraska Farmer’s Union convention Dec. 7-8. Both Gov. Dave Heineman and Sen. Ben Nelson lead an impressive array of speakers .
Gov. Dave Heineman and Sen. Ben Nelson will be part of an impressive array of speakers at the Nebraska Farmer’s Union convention Dec. 7-8 in Grand Island.
Ethanol, climate change, the Farm Bill, consolidation of the beef industry and the beef checkoff are some of the topics that will be discussed by researchers and policy makers.
Heineman will speak at the noon luncheon Dec. 7, followed by meteorologist John Pollack and DTN reporter Chris Clayton who will talk about climate change.
At 4 p.m., a panel of state senators will appear, including Sen. Ken Haar and Sen.-elect Al Davis of Hyannis.
Nelson will speak at noon the next day along with gubernatorial candidate Mike Flood, the outgoing Speaker of the Legislature.
Registration is available online HERE.
Nebraska Farmers Union’s 99th Annual State Convention
Holiday Inn Midtown, Grand Island
Friday, December 7
8:00 Registration begins….
9:00 Welcome & Convention Call To Order
9:10 NeFU Education Report
9:15 NeFU Foundation Report & Elections
9:25 NFU Fly-In Report
• Ben Gotshall-Raymond
• Mark Kavan-Lincoln
• Lynn Belitz-Fullerton
9:45 Nebraska Rural Radio Association Report
• Craig Larson—Chief Operating Officer
10:30 Farmers Union Insurances Report
10:45 EPA Region 7 Activities & Issues Report
• Josh Svaty, Senior Adviser to the Regional Administrator
11:10 NEBFARAMPAC Report
• Gale Lush, NEBFARMPAC President
11:20 NEFU Elections
• Introduction of Candidates for Nebraska Delegates to National Farmers Union Convention-March 2-5, 2013. Mass Mutual Center, Springfield, Massachusetts.
Districts 2, 4, & 6 caucus for additional NEFU District Director Nominations. Report to Elections Chair, Larry Knuth.
Honorable Governor Dave Heineman
Tom Giessel, NFU Historian
1:35 Our Changing Weather and Climate
• John Pollack, meteorologist
2:15 Climate Change and Rural America
• Chris Clayton, DTN Reporter
3:00 NeFU/HSUS Ag Advisory Committee Report
• Ben Gotschall
• Jim Knopik
• Kevin Fulton
• Martin Kleinschmit
• Doug Dittman
• Jon Yoachim
*Surprise New Market Announcement!!
3:30 NeFU Elections
Elect Top Four NFU Convention Delegates
Elect NEFU Board of Directors for Districts 2, 4 & 6
4:00 NeFU Legislative Candidates Report
• Senator Ken Haar, Malcolm, LD21
• Vern Barrett, Ceresco, LD23
• Butch Hughes, Hastings, LD33
• Judy Domina, Elkhorn, LD39
• Senator Al Davis (Elect), Hyannis, LD43
5:00 Elections – Elect NFU Convention Delegates & Alternates
Top Two Are Delegates — Bottom Two are Alternates
5:30 NEBFARMPAC Wine & Cheese Fundraiser-Suite 114
Special Guest Hosts: NeFU Legislative Candidates
6:30 Convention Banquet
Tom Giessel, NFU Historian
Wenonah Hauter, Author & Executive Director, Food & Water Watch
Saturday, December 8
7:00 Builders Club Breakfast for Builders Club Members
8:30 Convention Reconvenes
8:30 NEFU Membership Report
• Graham Christensen, NEFU Public Affairs Director
8:35 NFU Legislative Report
• Michael Stranz, NFU Government Relations Representative
NFU Legislative Report & Farm Bill Update
9 a.m. - The GIPSA Rule & The Future Of Our Industry
• J. Dudley Butler, former USDA GIPSA Administrator
10:30 Beef Checkoff Issues Update
• David Wright, President., Independent Cattlemen of NE, National Cattlemen’s Beef Promotion Board, & past NE Beef Council member
11:00 Ethanol Update & Challenges
• Duane Kristensen-Chiefs Ethanol Fuels, Inc.
11:25 Nebraska Easement Action Team (NEAT)
• Brian Jorde, Attorney, Domina Law Offices
• U.S. Senator Ben Nelson
• Mike Flood, Speaker of the Legislature
• Tom Giessel, NFU Historian
1:30 Policy Consideration & Adoption Until Completed