Full Site View
Quick Links
  My Bulletin
  Contact The Bulletin

Mail: Southern statues symbolize suppession

Mail: Thanks for helping Aiden

More opinion

Ag News

Fall: Good time to spray musk thistle in rosette stage

Robertson and Delsing re-elected chair, vice chair of NWB

More Ag News

NorthPlatte Weather

Email Article | Print Article
News - Local News
North Platte houses coming downTell North Platte what you think
Photo by Jay Huff
12th and Poplar
Photo by Jay Huff
Fourth and Miles
Courtesy Photo­Image
Smoke pours out of the house at Fourth and Miles on Oct. 28, several hours after the fire started.

Two old houses in North Platte are coming down.

An historic three-story house at 12th and Poplar was damaged Aug. 1 when a bolt of lightning apparently hit the top of the building. No one was in any of the three apartments inside at the time, but neighbors heard the explosion.

Owner Sherman Hirsch said one apartment was empty and another tenant was in the process of moving out. The only tenant living there was at a family gathering in another part of town.

The house was built around the turn of the century in the "foursquare" style that was widely used from 1900-1910, library researcher Kaycee Anderson said.

It was built at 420 W. Fifth by W.W. Birge, who owned lumber yards from Cozad to Cheyenne, including a yard in North Platte from 1881-1913.

The house was moved to the north side, at 12th and Poplar, in the 1970s.

Hirsch said he bought it in 1988. The house is being salvaged and will be demolished, Hirsch said.

West Fourth

Another old house at the corner of Fourth and Miles was badly damaged on Oct. 27 in a fire. The house was used only for storage. Approximately 40 years ago, it was a corner neighborhood grocery store, but the house fell into disrepair.

More recently, it was featured on Aug. 21 in the Bulletinís report of substandard housing in North Platte.

It is owned by Colin Aten.

The roof of the house was destroyed in a fire that started in the early morning hours. It was an intense fire and both professional and volunteer fire crews responded. Flames were subdued more than once but flared up repeatedly, due to the large amount of flammable items inside.

Firefighters were on the scene for 12 hours, according to a spokesman at the North Platte Fire Department.

Like this story to send to your facebook

The North Platte Bulletin - Published 11/13/2012
Copyright © 2012 northplattebulletin.com - All rights reserved.
Flatrock Publishing, Inc. - 1300 E 4th St., Suite F - North Platte, NE 69101
Hide Talk Back
Login to post Talk Back

Click on the cop Report Talk Back Abuse to report Talk Back abuse and misuse