The legendary steam locomotive No. 844 will arrive in North Platte Sunday on the fourth leg of a tour celebrating Union Pacific’s 150th anniversary.
Visitors can step inside Union Pacific’s vintage Promontory baggage car that has been transformed into a state-of-the-art traveling museum.
The traveling exhibit closely replicates the full-scale Building America exhibit that opened earlier this year at the Union Pacific Railroad Museum in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
No. 844 arrives Sunday afternoon and will pull out Monday morning, bound for Council Bluffs, Iowa.
The traveling exhibit takes visitors back in time using interactive touch screen technology to illustrate how Union Pacific supported communities as they were established along the way as the transcontinental railroad was built.
The interactive experience culminates with the modern Union Pacific Railroad, which transports goods American businesses and consumers use every day.
No. 844 will pull the traveling exhibit 13,000 miles through 15 states as part of Union Pacific’s 150th anniversary.
The tour will stop in Des Moines for Iowa State Fair activities and be on display Aug. 9-12.
Union Pacific was created 150 years ago when President Abraham Lincoln signed the Pacific Railway Act on July 1, 1862, creating the original Union Pacific.
Arrival and departure times for the steam train can be found at www.upsteam.com. Website visitors can follow No. 844 on a GPS system map that updates its location every five minutes. GPS updates are also available at http://twitter.com/UP_Steam.
When and where:
• Sunday, Aug. 5 -- Cheyenne, Wyo., to North Platte, Neb.
• Monday, Aug. 6 -- North Platte, Neb., to Council Bluffs, Iowa.
• Tuesday, Aug. 7 -- Council Bluffs, Iowa to Boone, Iowa.
• Wednesday, Aug. 8 -- Boone, Iowa to Des Moines, Iowa.
• Thursday-Sunday, Aug. 9-12 -- Public Display - Union Pacific Railyard, one block south of E. Court Ave. and SE 32nd Court, Des Moines, Iowa, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
• Monday, Aug. 13 -- Des Moines, Iowa to Kansas City, Mo.
• Tuesday, Aug. 14 -- Kansas City, Mo., to Salina, Kan.
• Wednesday, Aug. 15 -- Layover and Public Display, Old Depot – 400 N. 13th St., Salina, Kan. 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
• Thursday, Aug. 16 -- Salina, Kan., to Sharon Springs, Kan.
• Friday, Aug. 17 -- Sharon Springs, Kan. to Denver, Colo.
• Saturday, Aug. 18 -- Denver, Colo., to Cheyenne, Wyo.