The West Central District Health Department has received a $91,943 grant for low-income, uninsured, indigent and minority women with unmet breast health care needs in Lincoln, Logan, and McPherson counties.
The grant from Komen for the Cure will support Never Too Early for Breast Health, an initiative to foster breast screenings and education, referrals, and follow-up examinations in partnership with People’s Family Health Services.
In 2012, The Komen Nebraska Affiliate’s local fundraising efforts, such as the Komen Nebraska Race for the Cure®, have enabled it to grant a total of $700,000 to support several Nebraska breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs.
Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, and the Nebraska Affiliate is one of 123 affiliates dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities.
Komen Affiliates fund innovative programs that help women and men overcome the cultural, social, educational and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment.
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
The Nebraska Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stay in the state of Nebraska. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 402-502-2979 or visit www.komennebraska.org.