A final, brief test was conducted at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday of the new emergency warning sirens at Lake Maloney. Everything is okay, officials said.
The city’s warning sirens in North Platte are also connected to the new lake sirens, so both sets of sirens sounded The test lasted just 20 seconds, Lincoln County Emergency Manager Dan Guenthner said.
It was the final test of the new sirens, which officially activate Wednesday evening.
One new siren is near South Beach, another is near Lake Maloney State Park at the outlet and a retrofitted siren is near the west end of the golf course, after the existing siren near the golf course was rebuilt and moved.
These, combined with an existing siren on Buffalo Bill Avenue just below the dam, offer complete coverage around the lake. Each siren will be audible for a radius of nearly a mile and a half, Guenthner said.
Officials worked for several years, especially since 2008, to replace the seven or so old sirens scattered around the lake. The old sirens were removed from police cars and installed 30 years or more ago.
The Lake Maloney Property Owners Association contributed 25 percent of the $63,275 costs, thanks to a fund raising drive and money in the association treasury. The Federal Emergency Management Agency paid the other 75 percent. Guenthner said.