Photo by George Lauby
Blue Swing, from left: Luke Raby, Ronnie Weigel and Brandon Raby.
Another venue in North Platte’s live music scene opens Thursday in the lawn behind the Ft. Cody Trading Post. Accomplished artists will play every Thursday evening, en route to weekend gigs across the country. The show typically opens at 6 p.m. and lasts until 9 p.m.
Top North Platte’s musicians will open the evening.
The gypsy jazz band Blue Swing opens the series, followed by the Alan Glaser Band of Kearney.
Blue Swing plays swing, jazz and classic pop with the gypsy flavorings of Django Reinhardt.
The Alan Glaser Band is known as a country band, but also plays anything from Johnny Cash to AC/DC, plus originals. Allen and Ken Glaser and Mike Shinn comprise the band, which also performs under the name 'Howie Felter'.
Allen Glaser has played guitar, keyboard, harmonica and singing since he was 10. During the last 10 years, Glaser’s band has played in Tennessee, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas as well as Nebraska.
Admission is $5. Refreshments will be available. In the event of inclement weather, the show moves indoors to the Riverfront Terrace at the Quality Inn.
The shows are designed to entertain motel visitors and are funded by a grant from the North Platte Convention and Visitor’s Center and North Platte’s Destination Development program.
• June 16 (5 p.m.) North Platte’s Bre Steinmeyer opens for Daniel Christian - a contemporary power pop/rock artist with country roots. Audiences have dubbed it “thought rock.”
• June 23 – local artists John Martin, Blue Swing, Levi Most & James Burke, and more.
• Jun 30 – Phil Lee - Americana/rockabilly performer. "Combines social conscience of Woody Guthrie with the twisted fury of Jerry Lee Lewis" -- Associated Press.
• July 14 - James Burke & Levi Most of North Platte open for Laurie Morvan – electric blues singer, guitar player – Morvan is a “stunning California axe slinger...exhilarating electric blues guitar style” - Modern Guitars.
• Plus more; series lasts through August.